On Friday (20 May) Yanga dropped a brand new single Not Enuff, taken off of his soon to be released EP Touch Is A Move.
The EP is two months overdue and like many of you, we’ve been anxiously waiting for it, but yo! Good things come to those who wait, if Not Enuff is anything to go by, we can definitely wait for the EP, it’s such a banger and totally worth the wait. He seems to have the golden touch producing phenomenal work be it behind the mic or directing music videos. We had a chat with the guy, check out what he had to say about making hits, the current state of SA hip hop and Touch Is A Move.
- What was the source of inspiration for the song Not Enuff?
I JUST LOOKED BACK AT HOW FAR IVE COME AND I REALISED I WAS NOWHERE NEAR SATISFIED. ITS BEEN A REALLY GOOD RUN BUT I WANT WAY MORE THIS YEAR.
- Who did you work with on the song?
YOUNG FOREVER BEATS PRODUCED THE SONG. I TOOK IT FROM THERE.
- In the song you talk about not yet accomplishing what you want, what are some of the things you think you still need to accomplish?
I’VE BEEN PART OF A LOT OF BIG SONGS OVER THE LAST TWO YEARS. BEEN BLESSED TO SHARE STAGES WITH VETERANS AND COLLECTED ACCOLADES FOR IT. I STILL NEED TO DO THESE THINGS ON MY OWN THOUGH. BY MYSELF.
- How would you describe your sound?
- Who has inspired your sound?
TKZEE, ZOLA, DISCLOSURE.
- How far are you with Touch Is A Move?
I BEEN DONE. THE EP JUST KEEPS GETTING LONGER. STARTED AT 4 SONGS, WELL OVER 10 NOW.
- Who are some of the people you have collaborated with on the EP?
CANT REALLY SAY. IM TRYING TO HAVE AS FEW AS POSSIBLE.
- What is the overall feel and sound of the EP?
IT SOUNDS LIKE AN ALBUM.
- How would you describe the current state of SA hip hop?
HEALTHY! WE ALL DOING OUR PART IN OUR OWN WAY. IM NOT ONE TO SPEAK ON OTHER PEOPLES MOVES BUT I GOTTA SAY ITS BECOME EASIER TO BE YOURSELF. WE’VE CONE REALLY FAR.
- What are some of your thoughts on the recent decision made by SABC radio stations to play 90% local music? What does that mean to you as a musician?
I THINK IT MEANS A LOT FOR MY FAMILY. MY MOM DOESNT REALLY UNDERSTAND IT BUT IM HOPING IT WILL DIRECTLY INCREASE ARTISTS’ INCOME AND BE THE CATALYST FOR NEW OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY. FINALLY KIDS AROUND THE COUNTRY CAN SAY THEY WANNA STUDY SOUND ENGINEERING AND NOT BE DISCOURAGED.
- What other genres have you incorporated in your music other than rap?
DANCE, REGGAE AND KWAITO.
- What do you consider a hit song to be? And do you think you’ve made one?
I JUST MADE ONE CALLED #NOTENUFF. I THINK TIME WILL TELL HOW BIG A HIT IT BECOMES.
- You and AKA seem to have something good going, everything you touch turns into a hit, do you plan on continuing to collaborate?
WITHOUT A DOUBT.
- How is it working with vthseason?
ITS GREAT. THEY LISTEN, THEY CHIP IN AND THEY EXECUTE. THEY OFFER AN INVALUABLE SERVICE. THE TEAM IS STRONG.
- What’s currently playing on your playlist?
- Do you have a bucket-list of who you would like to work with locally? If so, please list them.
NAH I DONT. BUT ONE DAY I WILL WORK WITH PROFESSOR.
- Other than being a rapper, what would you like to be known for?
AN UNDENIABLE TALENT.
- Besides the EP coming, what else should we expect from Yanga?
AMAZING VISUALS. A NEW LEVEL OF STORYTELLING.
- Is there anything else you would like your audience to know?
THE MUSIC IS COMING AND ITS COMING FAST. SUPER FAST.
Well, I don’t know about you but I can’t wait to hear Touch Is A Move, it seems like it’s going to be one for the books.
Written By: Kamo Tshikane
Check out Yanga’s #NotEnuff VLOG below & listen or download the track here.