Eight artists will be opening for electro duo Maribou State on the 8th & 9th December 2017 at Castle Of Good Hope & Good Luck Bar. Kool Out had the opportunity to ask these stellar eight local acts, eight questions as the lead up to the Maribou State party begins…. #EightForEight
First up on #EightForEight we have DJ/Producer Kid Fonque. Recognised for his electrifying DJ sets that consist of a mixture of electro beats, hip hop, house & bossa nova, Kid Fonque is also an accomplished event promoter & is the co-founder & owner of record label “Stay True Sounds” alongside DJ/Producer Julian Gomes & is the host of his own radio show “Selective Styles” on 5FM.
- You have been on the music scene for a while now and still somehow manage to maintain a fresh take to your music. What keeps your passion for music alive?
Music is my everyday, its my job, I have been doing and into music my whole life. I genuinely get very excited everyday when i hear something that moves me
- You have and continue to embrace the role of nurturing and supporting up and coming artists. What is your motivation for doing this?
Its just a passion for the music thing, fortunately I am in a position where I have a platform to share all these great producers music which I do.
“The reason I play so many different styles of music is that its always been very difficult for me to ignore good music, so I represent what I feel.”
- Musically speaking your sound is a diverse as the continent we live in, have you never been worried that the jack of all is said to be the master of none?
I have a massive quality control that the music I showcase goes through & I am extremely particular about the sound I play & represent, I am not as diverse as a wedding DJ as thats not my vision, anyone can play popular music across genres, my vision has always been to showcase quality music regardless of genre. The sound I play has a general temperament to it and it all has the same feeling throughout. The reason I play so many different styles of music is that its always been very difficult for me to ignore good music, so I represent what I feel.
Its only the tempo’s that make it diverse.
- Your music has taken you around the world, what have been your biggest lessons so far?
I am very fortunate to have released music on international labels & continue to do so which takes my overseas. I am always learning, I don’t want to stop, I will always be the student.
- Being a father seems to be a role you have easily embraced. Has this role had an impact on your music and career?
Yes very much, my busy schedule is planned around my sons routine and we have a good hold on things. Kids need lots of attention and the way I handle myself when I am out has changed as I want to be more responsible, more of a father & less hungover & tired around my boy.
- You are one of 8 local acts opening for Maribou State, where and when was the first time you ever heard a song of theirs?
I am on the Ninja Tune promo list and got their album ‘portraits’ a few years back, such a great record, I genuinely like it all.
- What can audiences expect from your performance on at the events?
I am not sure to be honest, gonna have to see what comes out the bag on the night:) I do know we are going to have a blast though!
- If there was a catch phrase titled ‘Kid Fonque Kool’…what would that express?
Hahahaha not sure…