Fresh off the heels of a New Year, SlikourOnLife decided to host the inaugural Verse Of The Year Awards. The star-studded occasion saw appearances from some of the most respected rap personal within the industry. Notable mentions would be Maggz, Ma-E, K.O., Priddy Ugly and veterans ProVerb and Amu also came through.
The awards were based on a monthly feature done on the online publication hosted by Stogie-T (aka Tumi) that sees an award being given to the most deserving rapper who had the lyricism that ‘Made-You-Look’. Depending on how you look at it, it was best that the only judge on the panel was Stogie T, who had been running the idea of the Verse of The Month throughout a large majority of last year. Since this was the inaugural event, the awards were handed to the Verse of The Month winners of 2017 and then the grand prize of R5000 and the 1st SlikourOnLife Verse of the Year award were handed to the winner. A notable mention has to go to JimmyWiz who performed a freestyle while he awaited technical issues to be sorted out (he was the intermission performer) as well as proving his crowd control powers by having the crowd chanting ‘You got too much sauce!” as he flowed through one of his recent singles “Sauce”. Props have to be handed to Slikour for the progress made in the efforts to improve the culture that is hip-hop in the country.
Peep The List Below for the winners.
12. Maraza – Black Skin
11. Kid Tini – Lawd HamMercy (Wasn’t present to receive)
10. Maggz – Something Else (featured by Da L.E.S)
9. YoungstaCpt – Better Than Money (Was present to receive)
8. Zakwe – B.I.S (Wasn’t present to receive)
7. A-Reece – Loyal
6. Kwesta – Been Thinking Remix (featured by Junior De Rocka)
5. Black Thought – Ng’yekeleni (featured by Cassper Nyovest)
4. YoungstaCpt – Gehard (featured by Miss Celaneous)
3. Kid X – Skebe Dep Dep (featured by DJ Capital)
2. Kwesta – Hyena
The Hennessy People’s Choice Award (award voted for by fans on social media) – A-Reece
Winner of the 1st #VOTY Award Ginger Trill – Nobody (Interlude)